Monday, January 14, 2013

Fantasy sandbox II

Continuing from my previous post, I've decided I really love the swashbuckling era just too much to not have my sandbox in that era. I love the idea of the clash of budding technology and magic, as well as the common memes of the era:
  • exploration
  • colonization
  • art
  • science
  • religious conflict
  • firearms
  • guilds
  • sailing ships and pirates
This sounds more and more like what The Fantasy Trip assumes for many parts of  the rules. TFT has firearms, grenades, fencing, powerful guilds, mechanicians (engineering), chemists (science), and thus has the technology and some of the social stuff covered.

This looks like I should either run this as TFT, GURPS (easily handles the time period), or some other rule system that handles this time period.

Does anyone have suggestions for other rules that cover the Renaissance technological period? If it was not focused on Europe, so much the better.