Sunday, May 26, 2013

My First New Map

I say "my first new map" because I did a little mapping back in the day, but this is my first attempt in the modern era, after the flood.

I've been marveling at the mapmaking abilities of my OSR peeps, so I decided to try my hand at it. I was at Michael's with wife and daughter, cooling my heels, so I looked for mapmaking tools. I ended up with a Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen (Superfine, 0.4mm) and a 6"x8" Artist's Loft Black Sketchbook. I discovered that I prefer to map in pen and edit in GIMP, rather than drawing in pencil and inking it.

Here is my first attempt, a cavern. I've seen everyone crosshatching the walls, so I chose to stipple instead to have my own style. I'm still figuring out how I want to deal with underwater sections. Arrows point up the stairs. The right side is a small river underground, and the middle section is partially underwater. The large cavern on the left is full of stalagmites and stalactites.

Here's the map.



No comments:

Post a Comment