Wednesday, December 12, 1990

Einar Truetale, Jongleur

History and campaign notes

I was born in the trade city of Stormstone on the island of Selidor. My father was a jongleur who traveled from town to town sharing his stories, poems and songs for a drink or a meal here, a few coppers or silvers there. After several years, his fame had grown considerably and he was able to make a good living at it. One day, the king asked him to entertain at court. My father so greatly impressed the king, that the king offered him a position as court entertainer. My father nearly turned him down, because he loved his carefree, wandering lifestyle. But then a wondrous thing occurred -- he fell in love with one of the ladies-in-waiting. His love for my mother was strong a true, and my father accepted the position at court, and proceeded to court my mother. They soon married and settled down to life in the king's castle. My father still traveled often, following the king on his exploits, or wandering from town to town, but he always returned as quickly as he could to his family. I was the first-born and I have six brothers and sisters. I seem to have inherited both his talent and his wanderlust.

How would I describe myself? Well, I love to eat and drink. Unfortunately, it wreaks havoc with my waistline. That's the trouble with being a gourmand. I appreciate beauty in many forms, especially female forms. I have a knack for conversation, and therefore I am rarely lonely. I admit I have my faults, greatest of which is my gambling. I have been known to fumble weapons from time to time, especially arrows, but I don't make a habit of it.

I take great pleasure in my work, I break into song or verse readily, and everyone of course enjoys my stories. My best story is The Legacy of Spellsender, better known as "Slingsby's Folly". This is a personal account of Baron Slingsby Spellsender's brave attempt to raid the Dragon King's lair. I enjoy telling it every chance I get so that everyone will know of the great deeds of this resourceful mage.

I've traveled with Spellsender's companions on many great and dangerous adventures. These form the basis for most of my songs and stories. I plan on remaining in the company of these fine gentlemen as long as they continue having exciting journeys to write about. I am not in the least deterred by my very long absence; in fact, it reinforces my desire to adventure all the more. The world has been without the chronicles of these heroes long enough. I hope to convince my friends to visit all the Wonders of the World. Having seen the Stairs of Algernon and the inside of the Dreaded Keep, and survived it, I greatly desire to the the rest.

At this time, I'd like to acknowledge Toric Sigonel, may he rest in peace. On Slingsby's raid on the Dragon King's lair, I was injured unto death and saved only by the auspices of Toric. I owed him a life debt, which was not repaid before his untimely death in a later sojourn with Spellsender.

Random notes: fable about a frustrated mage who cannot find the book he wants in a library; The Legacy of Spellsender (AKA Slingsby's Folly): the Baron Spellsender's heroic attempt to take the Dragon King's lair in the Vale of Shadows; The Horrible Tale of the Awesome Mri; The Account of the Stairs of Algernon; The Story of Korrick and the Ring of Petrefaction; The Story of Korrick's Brush with Death and the Encounter of the Zombies. The Heroic Tale of the Meeting of Euchuar, the ancient dragon, and the flight of Slingsby; Ravenscrag Castle; The Quest for the Book of the Gatemasters on the Isle of the Dragonmaster: wraith and necromancer; The Defeat of the Balrogs ("Here comes Arioch and his Balrog chorus." I killed one!); The End of the Quest for the Book of the Gatemasters beneath Slingsby's castle and taking it to Euchuar; The following quest to bring one of the great Dark Councillors, a necromancer, to Euchuar; The circle of standing stones and the barrow wights.

Einar Truetale, Jongleur
(from Newkirk's High Fantasy campaign)
5' 9" 160 lbs, age: 22, horoscope: well-aspected Aquarius
8th level Jongleur (126,500), son of Jongleur, first of seven children, 'Good' child, worships Arioch.
Appearance: short blonde hair, blue eyes, pale complexion, smiling expression, small jaw, soft features, deep baritone voice, scars of left side of neck, scar on left cheek.
Characteristics: poor sense of smell, humble.
Command character: vainglorious and rash
Languages: Common, Sindarin, Quenya, Tengwar script, Cirith runes, 3 ancient languages, 6 modern languages.

Dexterity:
Strength:
Constitution:
Appearance:
Bardic Voice:
Intelligence:
Wisdom:
Charisma:
Alignment:
Bravery:
9
14
12
9
20 (17)
17
19
20
17
14
Body:
Fatigue:
PCF:
Military Ability:
Command Level:
Carrying Capacity:
BIF:
Honor points:
Status points:
Resistance:
Language:
23
24
13.6
8.9
5
272 lbs.




48
Weapons:BonusTotal
Sword+757
Dirk+929
Horse Bow+868
Axe040

Weapons:BlowsxWDF% Parry% HitCrit
Light+23-20+20
Heavy+14-12+18
Dodge bonus:
Active shield parry:
-22
none

Possessions

money:
at Slingsby's castle - 10 Jade, 1079 gold; in pouch around neck - 150 gold, 220 silver, 50 copper; sewn into cloak - 1 Jade. (1 Jade = 20 gold)
+5 straight sword, dirk, +5 horse bow, 15 + 5 arrows, 4 arrows, +6 throwing axe, spiked shield, -5 plate cuirass, norman helm. sharpening stone, bedroll, blankets, flint, steel, tinder, personal hygiene items
white silk shirt, noble quality
tan tunic
brown trousers
black pants
tan hooded cloak
green cloak
sash with small pouches and sheath
riding boots
sandals
cold weather clothing
lantern
6 oil flasks
metal flask filled with fine brandy
Amulet vs. Forgetfulness (MKL: 22)
chain shirt
chain coif
padded undercoat
2 books, pens and inkpots
harp, finely carved

Horse
Name:
Type:
Body:
Fatigue:
Carrying Capacity:
Range:
Average Speed:
Max Speed:
Barding:

Greymane
Very Good medium warhorse
28
8
600 lbs.
95 miles
MPH
MPH
studded


Companions

NameTypePlayer
Slingsby SpellsenderHuman wizardTom
HaleronElfLoren
TobiasHuman fighterMark
ElcharHuman fighterMac
FeralHuman fighterSue
TurgorHuman fighterJohn

No comments:

Post a Comment